EnviroShop is a division of EnviroGroup. Both parties are referred to collectively as EnviroShop/EnviroGroup.
Online EnviroShop Store:
EnviroGroup/EnviroShop respects your privacy. We collect the information required to fulfill your order and use your information only for purposes related to the services we provide. We hold your information with the utmost care and security and we do not sell or exchange our customers’ details.
If you receive an email newsletter from us, it is because you registered for our newsletter or have ordered from us previously. If you would prefer to receive no more email newsletters, please email us at email@example.com with ‘unsubscribe’ in the subject line.
The purpose of this document is to set out the policies of the EnviroGroup and EnviroShop in relation to the collection, holding, use and disclosure by EnviroGroup and EnviroShop of personal information relating to an individual.
"Personal Information" is information or an opinion (including information or an opinion forming part of a database), whether true or not, and whether recorded in a material form or not, about an individual whose identity is apparent, or can reasonably be ascertained, from the information or opinion. EnviroShop/EnviroGroup collects personal information regarding EnviroShop/EnviroGroup customers and individuals seeking information from EnviroShop/EnviroGroup. Occasionally, EnviroShop/EnviroGroup collects sensitive information about an individual. This is dealt with in paragraph 10 below.
1 Collection of Information
1.1 EnviroShop/EnviroGroup collects personal information about individuals where that information is necessary for any of the following primary purposes:
- providing a service to a customer or individual;
- EnviroShop/EnviroGroup newsletter subscription services;
- fulfilling EnviroShop/EnviroGroup’s role in educating the community about issues of environmental significance;
- running of competitions & special offers;
- assisting EnviroShop/EnviroGroup to participate in relevant civic and political debates;
- identifying environmental breaches and highlighting environmental concerns;
- notifying individuals of EnviroShop/EnviroGroup’s activities and campaigns;
- forging corporate and professional alliances to achieve financial and environmental outcomes.
1.2 EnviroShop/EnviroGroup will only collect personal information by lawful and fair means and not in an unreasonably intrusive way.
1.3 At or before the time EnviroShop/EnviroGroup collects personal information about an individual from an individual, EnviroShop/EnviroGroup will take reasonable steps to ensure that the individual is aware of:
- the identity of EnviroShop/EnviroGroup and how to contact EnviroShop/EnviroGroup;
- the fact that he or she is able to gain access to the information;
- the purposes for which the information is collected;
- organisations (or the types of organisations) to which EnviroShop/EnviroGroup usually discloses information of that kind;
- any law that requires the particular information to be collected; and
- the main consequences (if any) for the individual if all or part of the information is not provided.
1.4 If it is reasonable and practicable to do so, EnviroShop/EnviroGroup will collect personal information about an individual only from that individual.
1.5 If EnviroShop/EnviroGroup collects personal information about an individual from someone else, it will take reasonable steps to ensure that the individual is or has been made aware of the matters listed in paragraph 1.3. A common example of EnviroShop/EnviroGroup collecting personal information about an individual from a third party occurs when a transaction with EnviroShop/EnviroGroup arranged on behalf of an individual by way of a gift.
2 Use and disclosure
2.1 In this Policy: consent means voluntary and informed agreement to some act, practice or purpose. EnviroShop/EnviroGroup will, wherever possible, seek consent from individuals before using their personal information for a secondary purpose.
2.2 EnviroShop/EnviroGroup may sometimes use or disclose personal information about an individual for a purpose (a secondary purpose) other than the primary purpose. For example, EnviroShop/EnviroGroup may disclose personal information to other environmental organisations when planning and coordinating a particular campaign.
2.3 EnviroShop/EnviroGroup will only use or disclose personal information about an individual for a secondary purpose if:
the following apply:
- the secondary purpose is related to the primary purpose of collection; and
- the individual would reasonably expect EnviroShop/EnviroGroup to use or disclose the information for that secondary purpose; and
- the use is made by an employee, agent or contractor of EnviroShop/EnviroGroup, in the performance of that persons duties for EnviroShop/EnviroGroup; or
- the individual has consented to the use or disclosure; or
- if the use of the information is for the secondary purpose of directing marketing, either by EnviroShop/EnviroGroup or third party service providers engaged by EnviroShop/EnviroGroup to conduct such activities, (including promoting EnviroShop/EnviroGroup products, activities, materials, educational resources and competitions to the individual and to inform the individual of issues of environmental significance generally) (direct marketing); and
- it is impracticable for EnviroShop/EnviroGroup to seek the individual’s consent before that particular use; and
- EnviroShop/EnviroGroup will not charge any individual who requests that he or she not receive any further directing marketing communications from EnviroShop/EnviroGroup; and
- the individual has not made a request to EnviroShop/EnviroGroup not to receive direct marketing communications; and
- in each direct marketing communication with the individual, EnviroShop/EnviroGroup draws to the individual’s attention that he or she may express a wish not to receive any further direct marketing communications;
- each written direct marketing communication by EnviroShop/EnviroGroup with the individual sets out EnviroShop/EnviroGroup’s business address and telephone number and, if the communication with the individual is made by fax or other electronic means, a number or address at which EnviroShop/EnviroGroup can be directly contacted electronically; or
- EnviroShop/EnviroGroup reasonably believes that the use or disclosure is necessary to lessen or prevent:
- a serious and imminent threat to an individual’s life, health or safety; or
- a serious threat to public health or public safety; or
- EnviroShop/EnviroGroup has reason to suspect that unlawful activity has been, is being or may be engaged in, and uses or discloses the personal information as a necessary part of its investigation of the matter or in reporting its concerns to relevant persons or authorities; or
- the use or disclosure is required or authorised by or under law; or
- EnviroShop/EnviroGroup reasonably believes that the use or disclosure is reasonably necessary for one or more of the following by or on behalf of an enforcement body:
- the prevention, detection, investigation, prosecution or punishment of criminal offences, breaches of a law imposing a penalty or sanction or breaches of a prescribed law;
- the enforcement of laws relating to the confiscation of the proceeds of crime;
- the protection of the public revenue;
- the prevention, detection, investigation or remedying of seriously improper conduct or prescribed conduct;
- the preparation for, or conduct of, proceedings before any court or tribunal, or implementation of the orders of a court or tribunal.
2.4 With respect to a disclosure made under paragraph 2.7(g) EnviroShop/EnviroGroup would ordinarily give prior notice to an individual before making such disclosure, except where EnviroShop/EnviroGroup is required or compelled by law not to do so. If EnviroShop/EnviroGroup uses or discloses personal information under paragraph 2.7(d), a written note of the use or disclosure will be made.
3 Data quality
EnviroShop/EnviroGroup will take reasonable steps to make sure that the personal information it collects, uses or discloses is accurate, complete and up to date.
4 Data security
4.1 EnviroShop/EnviroGroup will take reasonable steps to protect the personal information it holds from misuse and loss and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
4.2 EnviroShop/EnviroGroup will take reasonable steps to destroy or permanently de-identify personal information if it is no longer needed for any purpose for which the information may be used or disclosed.
5.1 EnviroShop/EnviroGroup has set out in this document its policies on the management of personal information. EnviroShop/EnviroGroup will make a summary of this document publicly available on its website at www.envirogroup.com.au and will send out a hardcopy of the summary and this Policy to anyone who asks for it (see section 11 of this Policy for details).
5.2 On request by a person, EnviroShop/EnviroGroup will take reasonable steps to let the person know, generally, what sort of personal information EnviroShop/EnviroGroup holds, for what purposes, and how it collects, holds, uses and discloses that information.
6 Access and correction
6.1 If EnviroShop/EnviroGroup holds personal information about an individual, EnviroShop/EnviroGroup will generally provide the individual with access to the information on request by the individual. EnviroShop/EnviroGroup may refuse an individual access to his/her personal information if:
- EnviroShop/EnviroGroup reasonably believes that providing access would pose a serious and imminent threat to the life or health of any individual; or
- providing access would have an unreasonable impact upon the privacy of other individuals; or
- the request for access is frivolous or vexatious; or
- the information relates to existing or anticipated legal proceedings between EnviroShop/EnviroGroup and the individual, and the information would not be accessible by the process of discovery in those proceedings; or
- providing access would reveal the intentions of EnviroShop/EnviroGroup in relation to negotiations with the individual in such a way as to prejudice those negotiations; or
- providing access would be unlawful; or
- denying access is required or authorised by or under law; or
- providing access would be likely to prejudice an investigation of possible unlawful activity; or
- providing access would be likely to prejudice:
- the prevention, detection, investigation, prosecution or punishment of criminal offences, breaches of a law imposing a penalty or sanction or breaches of a prescribed law; or
- the enforcement of laws relating to the confiscation of the proceeds of crime; or
- the protection of the public revenue; or
- the prevention, detection, investigation or remedying of seriously improper conduct or prescribed conduct; or
- the preparation for, or conduct of, proceedings before any court or tribunal, or implementation of court orders by or on behalf of an enforcement body; or
- an enforcement body performing a lawful security function asks EnviroShop/EnviroGroup not to provide access to the information on the basis that providing access would be likely to cause damage to the security of Australia.
6.2 Where providing access would reveal evaluative information generated within EnviroShop/EnviroGroup in connection with a commercially sensitive decision making process, EnviroShop/EnviroGroup may give the individual an explanation for the commercially sensitive decision rather than direct access to the information.
6.3 An individual can request access to, and/or request the correction of personal information held by EnviroShop/EnviroGroup. Such a request can be made by writing to or emailing EnviroShop/EnviroGroup’s Privacy Officer (see section 11 of this Policy for details).
6.4 If EnviroShop/EnviroGroup holds personal information about an individual and the individual is able to establish that the information is not accurate, complete and up to date, EnviroShop/EnviroGroup will take reasonable steps to correct the information accordingly.
6.5 EnviroShop/EnviroGroup will provide reasons for denial of access or a refusal to correct personal information.
7.1 EnviroShop/EnviroGroup will not adopt as its own identifier of an individual, an identifier of the individual that has been assigned by:
- a government "agency" (as defined in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth); or
- an agent of an agency; or
- a contracted service provider for a Commonwealth contract acting in its capacity as contracted service provider for that contract.
7.2 EnviroShop/EnviroGroup will not use or disclose an identifier assigned to an individual by an agency, or by an agent or contracted service provider mentioned in sub-clause 7.1, unless:
- the use or disclosure is necessary for EnviroShop/EnviroGroup to fulfil its obligations to the agency; or
- one or more of paragraph 2.6(a) – 2.6(d) (inclusive) apply to the use or disclosure; or
- the use or disclosure is by a prescribed organisation of a prescribed identifier in prescribed circumstances.
7.3 In this section 7: identifier includes a number assigned by EnviroShop/EnviroGroup to an individual to identify uniquely the individual for the purposes of EnviroShop/EnviroGroup’s operations. However, an individual’s name or ABN (as defined in the A New Tax System (Australian Business Number) Act 1999) is not an identifier.
Wherever it is lawful and practicable, individuals will have the option of not identifying themselves when dealing with EnviroShop/EnviroGroup; For example, certain transactions made with EnviroShop/EnviroGroup can be performed anonymously.